Monday 6 February 2012

Film Review - Carnage



I'm not averse to uncomfortable comedy. Ricky Gervais, Fawlty Towers, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Borat all have me chuckling whilst cringing with embarrassment. This just made me cringe. And not just for the characters, but for everyone involved. Think Jodie Foster's a great actress? Think again.

The premise of the film is four adults meet to discuss the action of their children- then behave far more childishly then any children. I get it. Unfortunately, it's not funny. At all. AT ALL. Yes, a lot of it rings true as horribly familiar, and many a true word is spoken in jest, but there needs to be more to jest than loud voices and rude behaviour.

It does make you switch sympathies from time to time, I'll admit. But all it's actually doing is making one character acknowledge someone else's unreasonable behaviour- and then you realise it's coming from an equally unreasonable character. Ultimately nobody's in the right. I know that's the point, but it's just embarrassing to watch. 

Carnage indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment