Tuesday 8 September 2009

JCVD - review

A curious one, this. About 30 minutes in, wasn't sure I was going to make it through. It begins very strangely, seemingly lacking in narrative, and comes across a bit rambling and experimental. Then the film enters a second chapter- at first, adding to the confusion. Then it becomes clear we are seeing the same events, but from a different perspective. Now I was interested. All I knew about this film was the notorious to-camera "this is my life" monologue, and yet it didn't seem quite so out of place when it happened. This is clearly a vanity project, despite the lengths to which Jean-Claude Van Damme goes to show he's not a real-life action hero. An interesting idea, mostly successful, and has certainly raised Van Damme in my estimation. He certainly gives an emotional performance- but I still can't work out what the hell I just watched. Bonkers.
7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment