Wednesday 9 September 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife - review

Oh how it pains me to leave out that "L".

I can be a sucker for a good love story. I can even be a sucker for a bad one. Good or bad, this one suckered me. I was curious to see how this intriguing idea was going to play out, and was very happy with the way it did. I haven't read the novel so have no idea what changes have been made, but I certainly didn't feel like I was missing anything (except, perhaps, for more of Ron Livingstone, whose "best friend" role isn't given enough screen time to develop).

I have been a big fan of Bana since "Troy" (without him, there's no reason to see it) and even liked his polarising "Hulk". Rachel McAdams should be a much bigger star than she is by now. Fantastic in "Mean Girls", "The Notebook" and the so-so "Red Eye", somehow she still isn't a household name. Hopefully the success of this film will change that.

Much has been made of the pairing of this two, but I had no problem with their chemistry (or lack thereof). They are an unlikely match age-wise, but the nature of the story makes it irrelevant.

It may not be a film I'll dash to see again soon, but am sure one day in the future will see it on a Blu-Ray shelf, think "awww" and come home with it....

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment