Saturday 1 October 2011

Film Review - The Debt


I must admit I started this with an air of trepidation, having recently been burned by a spy film (Tinker, Tailor, bored already...) and as the film begins with approximately three timelines running at once, I began to fear the worst.

Fortunately, it was not to be. The opening was merely one of those Inception/Matrix head-f*** beginnings that makes sense only at the end. And by this time I'd spent a good hour or so holding my breath with suspense, cross-legged, afraid to miss anything during a loo break. The loose ends are nicely tied (but not too neatly), and I left the cinema one satisfied punter.

On the negative side, I do wish I'd seen the original (Israeli?) film upon which this is based, as the performances here are, at best, mixed. Yes, Helen Mirren is a national treasure and Sam Worthington does an adorable furrowed brow like nobody else. But those accents... I think Dame Helen was supposed to be Russian (she failed), but Sam's was downright indistinguishable, no doubt more so when he was speaking German.


(c) SRW 2011. All opinions are mine. If you like what you read, all the better; if not, other opinions are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment