Sunday 30 October 2011

Film Review - The Help

I was determined not to allow this film to manipulate my white liberal guilt. Result? The Help 1, me 0. To its credit, this film isn't quite what I expected it to be, as it's as much a film about class as it is race. On the negative side, it does have its fair share of stereotypes, clichés and one-dimensional characters, and some of the sub-plots are not pursued as much as I'd have liked... But, frankly, these are all afterthoughts as they didn't bother me at the time. Come Oscar time, this should be quite easily mentioned, in particular the acting categories; though to be quite honest it's near impossible to single one out as the entire cast are superb. I was utterly compelled and emotionally invested throughout, laughing and crying all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment