Thursday 26 January 2012

Film Review - The Darkest Hour (in 3D)

I honestly thought a film about invisible aliens invading Moscow sounded quite fun. I was so very, very wrong. I've always found Emile Hirsch a rather likeable screen presence, so when the first line out of his mouth made me wish for his character's death, I began to suspect this may not be as fun a ride as I'd hoped. It turns out he's actually one of the film's "good guys", and there are worse characters to come. And once they come, they do not fuck off for long enough.
There isn't really much to say about this film. The visual and sound effects are fine, and the 3D, as always, adds nothing other than fucked-up perspective. This includes birds that appear to fly through buildings and dust that blows along the floor, just below the ground. But Moscow looks nice.
The film, rather embarrassingly, ends with a set-up for a sequel (the final line is actually something like "this is just the beginning"). Fortunately, that's now about as likely to happen as this winning the Best Picture Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment