Wednesday 4 January 2012

Film Review - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)


Two years ago, one of my favourite films of the year was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. This year, an almost identical movie has been released again. Had I not seen the original Swedish version, this English-language version may well have had the same effect. But, for some reason, it didn't. Therefore, I'm finding it difficult to judge this as a film in its own right without comparing both versions.
David Fincher is certainly a superior visual director, and I can't honestly say Rooney Mara has done a notably worse job than Noomi Rapace as feisty lead Lisbeth. Nor Daniel Craig as Blomqvist, for that matter. But the pacing here felt a lot slower, I didn't find myself as impressed with Lisbeth as I was first time around, and her relationship with Blomqvist didn't feel quite as genuine.
However, there are a few substantial differences between the two versions here and there, most notably the outcome of the central mystery. And I certainly don't want to give the impression that this is in any way a bad film- it's a great film, because it's a great story and I highly recommend seeing it if you haven't seen either version. Be warned, it does touch on some sensitive areas and has a few brutal moments that can be difficult to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment